Friday, May 15, 2009

Dear Mr. Logan,

Enclosed are two poems for your consideration for (ABrilliant) Record Magazine:
"Leaves," and "Want To Be Me."

I am currently an Mfa student at Murray State University.
Thank you for considering my manuscript. I look forward to hearing from you.

Lacey Bard

Leaves

Leaves fall like snow.
The wind coerces them to fly.

Some drop from the trees straight to the ground
barely drifting at all.

Others sail the horizon for a while and settle
only to be picked up and flown again.

Others soar the sky until they are out of sight
never quite seeming to land.


Want To Be Me

It's not easy being me.
I don' get to do a whole lot.
I lay around most of the time.
I don't work, I don't go anywhere.
I don't pay bills and I don't have to worry.
I have some regrets, but they are from long ago.
I don't smile, I don't sing, I miss the hugs,
but many of you want to be just like me.

Alone, below the tree and memorial.
Rotting and cold.
Many of you want to be just like me,
but what would I do,
to be just like you?

Lacey Bard

Helpless I do not know if good intentions prevail among the elected, among the appointed, leaving me apprehensive that the fate ...